Jan 22 2014
10 Surprising Statistics About Honeybees
by Maryam Henein |
Below are 10 amazing statistics about honeybees!
1. Honeybees can fly up to 14 kilometers (8.7 miles) from their nest in search of food.
2. Honey is the only food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain life, including water.
3. Honeybees from a typical hive visit approximately 225,000 flowers per day.
4. In her lifetime, a honeybee worker will travel about 1,000 kilometers (620 miles)!
5. In her six-week life span, one worker bee will only make one quarter of a teaspoon of honey.
6. Honeybees must consume about 17-20 pounds of honey to make one pound of beeswax.
7. A typical foraging honeybee will work herself to death in about three weeks. The earlier three are spent in the hive.
8. Queen bees will lay as many as 2,000 eggs on a good day or an average of one every 45 seconds.
9. Honeybees have five eyes but see very few colors; they cannot see red.
10. A honeybee produces beeswax from eight paired glands on the underside of her abdomen.
Maryam Henein is an investigative journalist, professional researcher, and producer of the award-winning documentary Vanishing of the Bees.
Submit your story or essay to Buzzworthy Blogs.
- Bees Dying By The Millions As Colony Collapse Accelerates
- The Pollination Project: Spreading Seeds For Change
- Top 10 Most Interesting Beehive Locations
- Tell Congress To Ban Bee-Killing Pesticides!
- Mind Your Own Beeswax