The simplest way to prevent infections is hygiene, particularly handwashing, before eating or touching your face. To illustrate this, a viral meme has surfaced pairing song lyrics to the recommended 20-second wash cycle to help limit coronavirus infection.
There are several natural ways to take control and prevent viral infections from taking hold, coronavirus included. If you want a direct antiviral effect, both chelated silver and colloidal silver can target a wide range of viruses through several mechanisms. It is best to combine this with immune-boosting foods or supplements. Andrew Saul, an orthomolecular physician, recommends the following protocol for viral infections. The aim of these supplements is to boost the immune system and provide some direct antiviral support:
- Vitamin C: 3,000 milligrams (or more) daily, in divided doses. Clinical trials of vitamin C for coronavirus patients are already underway in China. Previous research on 252 students found that 85 percent experienced relief from respiratory infections if they took high-dose vitamin C. The specific dosage protocol was one gram per hour for six hours, followed by one gram three times daily. Andrew Saul has reported that Facebook is censoring information on vitamin C for viral infections.
- Vitamin D3: 2,000 International Units daily. Start with 5,000 IU/day for two weeks, then reduce to 2,000.
- Magnesium: 400 mg daily in a quality form such as citrate or chelate.
- Zinc: 20 mg daily. Zinc both aids immunity and can block the reproduction of at least some coronavirus types.
- Selenium: 100 mcg (micrograms) daily. You can reach a therapeutic dose of selenium by consuming Brazil nuts. As six large or eight medium kernels contain around 540 mcg of selenium, you’d only need one or two.
Importance Of Nutritional Supplementation
Nutritional supplementation is especially important for those who already have viral infections. The immune system responds to the coronavirus by increasing NF-kappa B production. If it’s pushed into overdrive, it can fill up the lungs with fluid and lead to pneumonia. Fortunately, natural substances including vitamins C and E, alpha-lipoic acid and N-acetyl cysteine all reduce NF-kappa B. Vitamin D is also a significant NF-kappa B inhibitor and boosts our pathogen-fighting ability while relieving inflammation.
The need for vitamin D may be one reason why the coronavirus is harming so many in China, a country infamous for urban air pollution. Research has shown that living in heavily polluted areas is linked with lower vitamin D levels, as haze affects sunlight penetration. People who live in more polluted areas are more likely to have low vitamin D levels, under 20ng/mL. It’s also currently winter, where levels are further depleted from spending less time outside and wearing warm clothing.
The above antiviral protocol can go a long way in protecting yourself against both this epidemic disease and other common infections like influenza. Remember, don’t let the panic suck you in, either. Stress harms the immune system, and the vast majority of deaths have occurred in China among people with pre-existing conditions. We may not know the full story about how the coronavirus came to be, but we are not helpless.