“We are a group of scientists at CDC who are very concerned about the current state of ethics at our agency,” stated a letter addressed to the CDC Chief of Staff, Carmen S. Villar, by more than a dozen senior scientists at the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, on August 19th, 2016.
The scientists call themselves CDC Scientists Preserving Integrity, Diligence and Ethics (CDC SPIDER).The letter alleges that the agency is influenced by corporate and political interests in ways that “shortchange taxpayers” and then provides a list of incriminating examples that sets in question CDC’s very foundation, which is encapsulated in the first paragraph of its mission statement:
“The CDC serves as the national focus for developing and applying disease prevention and control, environmental health, and health promotion and health education activities designed to improve the health of the people of the United States.”
Some of the letter’s highlights include:
- A “cover up,” by officials, to cloak mismanagement in CDC’s Wise Woman, a program that provides screening in low income neighborhoods for heart disease, diabetes and other chronic health disorders. They purposefully misrepresented screening numbers in documents they sent to Congress to conceal failures in the multimillion dollar project.
- A 2010 scandal that predated the Flint, Michigan tragedy, in which Congress found that the CDC had deliberately manipulated scientific documents and purposefully made inaccurate claims about the safety of Washington, DC drinking water,misleading DC residents into believing that their water was safe.
- How CDC senior vaccine safety scientist, Dr. William Thompson, invoked federal whistleblower status and testified to Congressman William Posey that his CDC supervisors had ordered him to destroy data and manipulate studies to conceal injuries to black children from certain vaccines. A key study showed that black boys who received the MMR vaccine on schedule, had a 250I percent ncrease in autism diagnoses.
- How the Director of the National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Colleen Boyle, orchestrated a cover up of Agent Orange and dioxin toxicity in the 1970s, depriving thousands of Vietnam veterans of health benefits until Congress uncovered and exposed the fraud in comprehensive investigations.Instead of punishing Boyle for corruption and scientific fraud, the CDC rewarded her with a powerful directorship. From that platform, Boyle has managed the CDC’s cover up of the vaccine-autism connection.
- How the CDC routinely allowed scientists with conflicts of interest to serve on two influential advisory committees that make recommendations on vaccine policy, and how “the majority of members of both committees have financial ties to vaccine manufacturers or hold patents on vaccines under development.”
- How a collusion between CDC officials and pharmaceutical companies took place to manipulate and destroy data in order to conceal the links between mercury-preserved vaccines and the exploding incidence of pediatric neurological disorders including autism.
- The HHS Inspector General’s investigation of corruption into the CDC’s vaccine division, which painted the CDC as a hopelessly corrupted arm of the pharmaceutical industry. CDC has allowed vaccine industry profiteers to make millions by serving on advisory boards that add new vaccines to the schedule.“In a typical example, Dr. Paul Offit, in 1999, sat on the CDC’s vaccine advisory committee and voted to add the rotavirus vaccine to CDC’s schedule, paving the way for him to make a fortune on his own rotavirus vaccine patent. Offit and his business partners sold the royalties to his rotavirus vaccine patent to Merck in 2006 for $182 million,” writes Kennedy.
For a full breakdown of CDC misdeeds, read Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.’s excellent article here.