- 1 small celery root
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 2 teaspoon drained and finely minced capers
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely minced
- ⅓ cup olive oil
Make It Happen:
- Peel celery root with sharp paring knife, working quickly to prevent browning. Using food processor or hand grater, coarsely grate celery root. Immediately place in medium bowl, sprinkle with lemon juice and salt to prevent browning, and toss well to mix.
- Coarsely grate carrots, and add to bowl. Sprinkle with poppy seeds, toss to mix, and set aside.
- Whisk together mustard, vinegar, tarragon, capers, and shallot in small bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil to create emulsion. Season to taste with white pepper.
- Pour dressing over celery root and carrot, toss to mix well, cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to three days before serving.
Carrots and poppy seeds add color and extra nutrition to this tangy French classic. It’s better after sitting for an hour or two, which allows the flavors to blend. A mayo-free dressing makes it picnic safe! Serves four people. Per Serving: 261 cal; 3g prot; 20g total fat (3g sat fat); 20g carb; 0mg chol; 576mg sod; 4g fiber; 5g sugars. Recipe originally in Better Nutrition Magazine.