- 3 tablespoons organic unrefined extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 3 large pastured organic eggs
- ¼ cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract or vanilla flavor
- ¼ teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ tablespoons organic unrefined coconut sugar
- ¼ cup organic coconut flour
- ½ cup shredded organic carrot
- ¼ cup organic raisins
- ¼ cup chopped pecans or chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest (optional)
- 2 tablespoons organic unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
Make It Happen:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 6 muffin cups with coconut oil. Mix together eggs, remaining coconut oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Add in salt, baking soda, cinna-mon, and coconut sugar. Whisk coconut flour into batter until there are no lumps. Fold in shredded carrot, raisins, and nuts.
- Fill muffin cups with batter, and sprinkle with shredded coconut. Bake 20 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack, then refrigerate.
A great combination of fruit, vegetable, nut, and coconut ingredients, this muffin is a healthy, fiber-rich addition to any breakfast or brunch. Gluten-free and dairy-free! Makes six muffins. PER SERVING: 194 cal; 5g pro; 13g total fat (8g sat fat); 16g carb; 93mg chol; 150mg sodium; .3g fiber; 10g sugars. Recipe originally in Going Against the Grain Group, 2012.