By John Sackman, HoneyColony
Is Monsanto evil? Far left-wingers always say so. And, in fact, the biotech giant is king of genetically modified organisms. Of course, I consider myself a moderate Democrat who has always respected the need for big business. So how bad can Monsanto really be? monsanto evil, genetically modified organisms, genetically engineered food
Well, I did some research, and I learned Monsanto is responsible for introducing the worst toxic pollutants known to mankind over the last 100 years. Here’s just a short list of their worst abuses.
A Timeline of the Worst Monsanto Evils
· 1901 Saccharin (Artificial sweetener) – Synthesized by mixing anthranilic acid with sodium nitrate, hydrochloric acid, sulfur dioxide, chlorine and ammonia. In ’72, the U.S. Department of Agriculture unsuccessfully tried to ban Saccharin due to the increased risk of bladder cancer it causes. It is still used today.
· 1920 PCB (Polychlorinated biphenyl) – Dielectric and coolant fluids. In 1956 the U.S. Navy tested Monsanto’s Pydraul 150, which contains PCBs, and decided it was too toxic to use in their submarines as hydraulic fluid. Inhalation caused “severe liver damage,” and it burned skin on contact. Although banned, PCBs are now in every living organism on earth. We all have a little Monsanto in us – and the company didn’t even use a creepy pickup line first.
· 1942 Polystyrene (aka Styrofoam) – Those cups made in 1942 still haven’t decomposed. No doubt, they’ll be the only remnants of human civilization after we finally blow ourselves up with the next Monsanto “innovation” on our list. … monsanto evil, genetically modified organisms, genetically engineered food
· 1943 The Atomic Bomb – Monsanto’s Central Research Department conducted research for the Manhattan Project, under contract from the U.S. government.
· 1944 DDT (Insecticide): Banned in 1972 for its destruction of wildlife, human birth defects, diabetes, thyroid problems and various other charming side effects. monsanto evil, genetically modified organisms, genetically engineered food
· 1945 Agent Orange – Used in Vietnam to kill vegetation. Banned because it was found to cause cancer, heart disease, birth defects, diabetes, and lymphoma.
· 1994 Recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH). Most don’t want growth hormones in athletes, so do you want them in your children’s milk? Or how about their ice cream, Mandrake? Children’s ice cream. monsanto evil, genetically modified organisms, genetically engineered food
· 1996 Roundup Ready Soybeans – Soybeans resistant to Monsanto’s popular herbicide, Roundup. Side effects are unknown due to a lack of testing by the Food and Drug Administration. These soybeans are also patented, because apparently, God’s patent must have expired. Or maybe Monsanto is God. They do have the causing-apocalyptic-mass-extinctions thing down.
Not only did Monsanto create these toxins, but it has been ruthless in promoting its products, no matter how much research proves they are poisonous to humans.
“Their propaganda has worked,” says Maryam Henein, Director of Vanishing of the Bees and founder of HoneyColony.com. “Roundup is not only the most popular herbicide on the market today, but it’s also considered safe. I’ve interviewed farmers who have actually told me that Roundup is ‘safe as table salt.’ This is a line Monsanto generated.” monsanto evil, genetically modified organisms, genetically engineered food
Too, if farmers don’t fall for the company’s messaging, there’s always a little money on the side. In 1998, a group of Canadian scientists accused Monsanto of trying to bribe them to get approval for rBGH. In 2002, Monsanto was fined $1.5 million for bribing Indonesian officials to skip inspections of their genetically modified cotton.
There are also the residents of Anniston, Ala., who have astronomically high cancer rates due to the production of PCBs in their neighborhood. In 2003, Monsanto was ordered to pay the residents $700 million in damages. monsanto evil, genetically modified organisms, genetically engineered food
And I haven’t even gotten to genetically engineered food yet. … monsanto evil, genetically modified organisms, genetically engineered food
The Monsanto Evil Villain’s Rogues Gallery
How has Monsanto gotten away with this for so long? Why can’t anyone stop the company, or at least have the USDA or FDA — or somebody – regulate it? It’s simple: Monsanto puts money in our politicians’ pockets. Floating around online, there’s a list of congressmen and the money they have accepted from Monsanto, along with the many who hold top government positions and have personal ties to Monsanto. I checked, and it’s all true. Here’s just a few:
· Current FDA Deputy Commissioner Michael Taylor: Former Monsanto VP of Public Policy
· Chief Justice Clarence Thomas: Former Monsanto Lawyer for Regulatory Affairs
· Former Director of USDA NIFA Roger Beachy: Former Director of the Monsanto Danforth Center
· Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton: Former Monsanto Counsel while at the Rose Law Firm monsanto evil, genetically modified organisms, genetically engineered food
Money Received for a ‘Blind Eye’ to Monsanto Evils (Partial list)
· Roy Blunt (R-MO): $10,000
· Rick Berg (R-ND): $10,000
· Mitch McConnell (R-KY): $10,000
· Ben Nelson (D-NE): $13,000
And there are many, many more. … monsanto evil, genetically modified organisms, genetically engineered food
Fighting Genetically Modified Organisms, Genetically Engineered Food and Other Monsanto Evils
With all this in mind, then, now let’s go back to the current debate over genetically modified organisms. I don’t need to know that Monsanto has inside connections in the FDA, USDA, and Congress. I don’t need to know that, due to connections and bribes, there has been no official government testing of the genetically engineered foods sold every day in our grocery stores. I don’t need to know that both Japan and Europe have instituted partial or total bans on genetically modified organisms either. And I don’t need to know that 71 senators voted against labeling GMOs.
What’s more, I don’t need to know that in March 2013, President Obama signed a farm bill that prevents federal courts from being able to stop the sale or planting of biotech crops, no matter what health concerns may arise in the future. monsanto evil, genetically modified organisms, genetically engineered food
All I need to know is Monsanto created Agent Orange, PCB, DDT, rBGH, and played a role in building the first nuclear bomb; that’s more than enough reason never to ingest anything they company creates, patents, or even lightly taps with a 10-and-a-half-foot pole.
May 24, 2014, the international March Against Monsanto will take place in cities all over the world. Check out March-Against-Monsanto.com for more. monsanto evil, genetically modified organisms, genetically engineered food