Want to avoid gas, heartburn, and upset stomach? The concept of “food combining” can help you do just that. It can also bestow you with more nutritional benefits from the foods you already eat.
Dr. Mercola examines these concepts through the lens of Dr. Wayne Pickering, a naturopathic physician from Florida also known as the Mango Man. Dr. Pickering’s three basic principles of health are:
- You are automatically healthy by design.
- You don’t catch disease, you ‘earn’ it…
- You get well by what comes out of you, not what goes in.
Food, he points out, is your best ally and the first place to start. Here’s a simple summary of Dr. Pickering’s everyday steps to take:
- Eat foods grown locally when they are in season.
- Eat foods that are native to your area.
- Eat according to your daily activity level.
- Eat according to your digestive chemistry.
Proper food combining starts with knowing what to eat and when. Again, it’s an easy practice to start, as Dr. Pickering points out:
- Eat no proteins and starches in the same meal.
- Eat no fruits and vegetables in the same meal.
- Eat melon by itself, not with other foods.
Proper nutrition can be simple. And it doesn’t have to take the form of a boring or particularly rigorous diet. You’ll have more energy, more creative fun with food, and you just might live a little longer.