By Maryam Henein , HoneyColony Original
- 1 cup coconut flour
- ½ cup almond flour (not almond meal)
- Dash of Hawaiian salt
- ½ cup vegan shortening
- Ice water
- 2 cup organic blueberries and raspberries
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 tablespoons raw, unfiltered Blackberry honey
- 3 ½ tablespoons arrowroot or organic corn starch
- ½ cup slivered almonds
Make It Happen:
- Turn oven to 400°F. Lightly grease six 4-inch round tart pans with vegan shortening.
- Combine flours, sugar, and salt in medium bowl. Working quickly, cut shortening into flour until mixture resembles very coarse corn meal. Add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms dough.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces about the size of donut balls, and roll into circles. Press each circle into a tart pan. Prick bottoms of crust three or four times with fork, place in oven, and bake 15 minutes, or until just golden. Remove from oven, brush bottoms of crusts lightly with preserves, and let cool.
- While tarts are baking, combine coconut milk, vanilla bean, and honey in small pan. Warm over medium-low heat 10—12 minutes, until milk is infused with vanilla bean and slightly thickened. In a small bowl, combine arrowroot with a few tablespoons of cold water, and stir until dissolved.
- Remove vanilla bean from milk, and slowly whisk in arrowroot. Cook over medium-low heat 5—7 minutes longer, or until very thick.
- Pour custard into tart shells, and let stand at room temperature to cool.
- Arrange berries on top of tarts. Add a few tablespoons of water, and heat until preserves are melted. Sprinkle with almonds, carefully cover, and refrigerate until serving. (Store in freezer for easier transportation.)
Note: Makes 6 four-inch tarts. Per Serving: 578 cal; 8g protein; 37g total fat (15g sat fat); 60g carbs; 41mg sodium; 8g fiber; 30g sugar.