By Tess Masters
- 16 cups vegetable broth/stock (I use Massel)
- 6 cups arborio rice (you can also use quinoa or millet)
- 6 cups fresh asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped leeks (the white part only)
- 1 cup vegan Daiya cheese (or another vegan cheese) *optional – see note in post. You don’t really need it.
- ½ cup finely chopped green onions
- ½ cup finely chopped celery (about 4 ribs)
- ½ cup fresh flat leaf continental parsley chopped finely
- ½ cup bunch fresh mint chopped finely
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
Make It Happen:
- Place the olive oil, sea salt, garlic, leeks and green onions into a large pot and sauté on a medium/high heat until just translucent. (about 5 minutes)
- Add in the celery and sauté for another few minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add in 2 cups of the vegetable broth.
- Stir in all of the rice and continue to add the remaining broth as needed stirring constantly.
- After about 20 minutes after the rice has doubled in size add in the asparagus and stir through.
- Continue to add vegetable broth as needed until the rice is just cooked through.
- Stir through the vegan cheese, mint, and parsley.
- Then add in lemon juice and lemon zest to taste.
- Season and serve with a sprinkling of extra herbs. YUMMO!
HoneyColony and its materials are not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prevent any disease. All material on HoneyColony is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified healthcare provider for any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise or other health related program.