By Tess Masters
- 16 cups vegetable broth/stock (I use Massel)
- 6 cups arborio rice (you can also use quinoa or millet)
- 6 cups fresh asparagus cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped leeks (the white part only)
- 1 cup vegan Daiya cheese (or another vegan cheese) *optional – see note in the post. You don’t really need it.
- ½ cup finely chopped green onions
- ½ cup finely chopped celery (about 4 ribs)
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf continental parsley chopped finely
- ½ cup bunch fresh mint chopped finely
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
Make It Happen:
- Place the olive oil, sea salt, garlic, leeks, and green onions into a large pot and sauté on a medium/high heat until just translucent. (about 5 minutes)
- Add in the celery and sauté for another few minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add in 2 cups of the vegetable broth.
- Stir in all of the rice and continue to add the remaining broth as needed stirring constantly.
- After about 20 minutes after the rice has doubled in size add in the asparagus and stir through.
- Continue to add vegetable broth as needed until the rice is just cooked through.
- Stir through the vegan cheese, mint, and parsley.
- Then add in lemon juice and lemon zest to taste.
- Season and serve with a sprinkling of extra herbs. YUMMO!
This recipe takes about 45 minutes to cook and serves about eight people.